On May 11th, the Para Los Niños Charter Middle School hosted a culminating event celebrating the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation “Reading is Leading” Program. Our PLN Charter Schools students and those of LAUSD’s 9th Street Elementary met the challenge posed by the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation by reading 25,000 books in three months! LA Dodgers pitchers Alex Wood and Ross Stripling congratulated our representative students from Gratts Primary Center, Charter Elementary School, Charter Middle School, and 9th Street Elementary with certificates and gifts.
We give a special thank you to our librarians, teachers, and parents who worked so hard to support students as they read book after book. This was a PLN family effort and we met our goals! And of course, a huge thank you to the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation for their continued support.
Below are the top readers and classes from each school:
• Gratts Primary Center Top Reader – Brandy Baten (301 books)
• Gratts Primary Center Top 3 Classes – Ms. Garcia (1855), Ms. Sanabria (896), Ms. Juarez (692)
• Charter Elementary School Top Reader – Citlaly Hernandez-Leon (218 books)
• Charter Elementary School Top 3 Classes – Ms. Figueroa (858), Ms. E. Alvarez (793), Ms. M. Alvarez (706)
• Charter Middle School Top Reader – Anevay Luna (38 books)
• Charter Middle School Top 3 Classes – Mr. Pineda (153), Ms. Alvarado (134), Mr. Balderas (100)
• 9th Street Elementary School Top Reader – Orion Molina (11 books)
• 9th Street Elementary School Top 3 Classes – Ms. Ochoa (1820), Ms. Tate (1598), Ms. Gomez (1538)
As summer nears, let’s continue to celebrate the power of reading, so that our students are motivated to continue learning and understanding the world around them. We should all be proud of our collective efforts to improve our students’ love of reading and learning.